This small town is a natural middle of the right Adige riverside, & in nowadays it`s function became stronger thanks to the services, entities and economical activities settled there. It was a residence place of many noble families in the past, as well as of rich Lagarina Valley bourgeoisie, and it left a print in elite baroque residential center, turning thus Villalagarina historic center one of the most representative in Trentino.
Archpriest Church of Our Lady in Assumption
Piazza S. Maria Assunta. (Square of Our Lady in Assumption). It`s one of the most remarkable baroque monuments in Trentino. Already mentioned in the end of XII century, it was completely transformed in the middle of XVII century on commencement of Lodron family. The main altar (1700), a marvelous masterpiece in multicolor marbles, belongs to renowned sculptures Benedetti from Castione. On the Northern side of the main aisle one may see St. Ruperto Chapel built in 1629 by Como architecture Solari (who build Salzburg Cathedral), a true jewel of art with its stuccos and precious oil paintings on the copper foils by Florence master Arsenio Mascagni.
Via Garibaldi, 10. It was built in the XVIIth century by Gasperini family and later passed in Libera family property. Nowadays it`s a property of the Municipality of Villa Lagarina which commissioned its reconstruction and destined it to a museum. It offers space to Tridentino Diocesan Museum, which exhibits precious sacral articles as well as sacral vestments of the priests from Lodron family, coming from archpriest church. On the ground floor temporary exhibitions of contemporary artists are held mostly. The Libera Room is dedicated to Adalberto Libera (1903 Villa Lagarina - 1963 Rome) who was one of the main figures of Italian architectonic culture of the XXth century. In this Room you may see some furniture from Adalberto`s apartment in Rome, donated by his sister Paola; a catalogue of his works and on the far wall 5 pictures made by a photographer Gabriele Basilico immortalizing three big progets of Libera. On the first floor: stuccos decorated halls welcome the Diocesan Museum exhibition as well as two monumental majolica stoves; a big noble hall with coffered ceiling and affresco wall, which is used now for conferences, concerts and civil wedding ceremonies. Outside the Palace there is a graceful garden with alleys, fa fountain, a dove cote and a big sculpture “The Mother”, a work of young Libera representing human compassion.
Tridentino Diocesan Museum, Villa Lagarina section
This Museum of sacral art exhibits sacral articles and sacral vestments donated by the Church of Our Lady in Assumption of Villa Lagarina. The exhibition is held on the upper floors of Libera Palace, on the first floor one may observe the portraits of the priests members of Lodron family who governed the local parish between the XVIth and XIXth centuries, financing it generously as well; among others, the most famous Paride Lodron, who was a bishop prince of Salzburg, then ancient wallpapers, gold ware and a wooden statue, probably part of an ancient church of the beginning of '500. On the second and third floors, one may admire engravings, paintings, original documents, priest vestments, wallpapers, ecclesiastic articles dated between the second half of the XVIth century and the beginning of the XIXth century. In the outside garden, embellished by secular trees and characteristic dovecote, “The Mother” is preserved – a stone sculpture created by the architecture Adalberto Libera from Villa Lagarina in 1925 as a monument to the fallen in the WWI.
Via Cavolavilla, 21. It was built in the XVII century by Festi Earls of Montepiano and Camposcuro, a local noble family, which passed the property to Lodron family in the end of the XVIII century. In the beginning of XIXth century its property was given to Baron Sigismondo de Moll, who was an Austrian state official; then to Lombardia family of marquis Guerrieri-Gonzaga in heritage, who remained its proprieties until nowadays. The palace is rather magnificent, with its vast XVIIth century halls, library and a picture gallery. It`s surrounded by a splendid garden which combines both English and Italian styles, with its rare and secular treed, cave, pond and lemon tree garden.
Piazzetta Scrinzi, 3. It was built in the XVI century and belonged to Camelli family (see a camel on coat-of-arms on a portal). Further it`s property passed to Compacer family, and then was inherited by Scrinzi family who passed it Municipality of Villa Lagarina. There is a big inside courtyard with arcuate gateway. On the first, “noble” floor one may observe a beautiful hall with wooden ceiling. Already being a Municipality seating, now it gives space to a Municipality Library “Adalberto Libera”, music school “Jan Novák” and some associations.
Piazza Riolfatti, 18. It was erected by the noble family Madernini (see a dove on coat-of-arms on a portal) in the XVIth century. In the beginning of XIXth century it was acquired by Marzani family who maintained the property until nowadays. There is a graceful small gateway in the courtyard and a beautiful hall at the “noble” floor. On the outside part of the wall, along the street going to the Church of Our Lady in Assumprion, one may observe a a precious affresco of Our Lady on the throne an a graceful stone erker.
Piazza Riolfatti, 15/16. It was erected in the XVIIth century by Marzani family (see a mermaid on coat-of-arms on a portal). There is an inside courtyard on which an notable 2 -floored loggia building faces. At the noble floor an amazing main hall with marble pavements, ancient furniture and portraits of the family members.